Re: Gas Proportional Counters

We have an old Nuclear Chicago 2 inch windowless proportional counter.
For energetic betas, such as from P-32, our efficiency is 0.68. For
infinite backing of aluminum, the theoretical efficiency is 0.669 for 2
pi geometry. Yes, you can get efficiencies greater than 50% for 2 pi
geometry because of backscatter.

John Harvey                            | McMaster University
Senior Health Physicist                | NRB-110
(905) 525-9140 ext 24226               | 1280 Main St. W.
harveyj@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca         | Hamilton, Ont Canada L8S 4K1