> Von: Floyd Galpin <fgalpin@compuserve.com>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: More Negative Press
> Datum: Freitag, 18. April 1997 13:22
>
> I thought the list might find this piece that was on the AOL "HOT" news
> listing interesting.
>
> Reuters Hourly News Summary
>
> Chernobyl Linked to US Leukemia
>
> A researcher says the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident in Ukraine may have
> caused a 30 percent increase in leukemia cases among U.S. children born
> soon after. Joseph Mangano of the Radiation and Public Health Project in
> New York said he found evidence of the increase in cancer registries for
12
> U.S. states and cities. There have been no reports of more cases of
> childhood leukemia in countries closest to the site such as Belarus,
> Finland and Sweden. But there has been a clear rise in incidence of
thyroid
> cancer in children.
>
> 06:37 04-18-97

A rise in thyroid cancer incidence in children in areas heavily
contaminated close to the Chernobyl power plant has been confirmed by the
IAEA - but nowhere else, not in Finland or Sweden or Austria or Poland or
Germany or .....

Everything else - rise of childhood leukemia in the USA, where fission
products were hardly detectable - is   n o n s e n s e.

Franz