Re: Data BAse Management

In regards to Deborah Steva's request for information about data
based systems.

Over the past twenty years we have used data based management systems
for tracking radiation safety information.  We have used in
chronological order; two iterations of a main frame inventory system,
various PC based but unlinked dBase modules covering inventory, labs,
people, instuments, & machines, and most recently the CHAMMP data
base system, a commercial product (RTI).

The two main frame data bases were costly to implement given the
technology at the time.  The second one was written because the first
programmer left the university and no one could follow his coding
both (undocumented and un-commented).

The dBase system worked for a while but each module was developed by
a different member of our staff depending on their immediate needs.
It was difficult to cross correlate information or get a detailed
report on any one facility or authorized user.

Our reasons for going out side of our institution to a commercial
vendor were simple.  When I looked at what it was costing us to
develop and maintain data bases in house, most commercial products
looked cheap.  Ask anyone who has put together an integrated package
in house what it has cost them for actual programming and direction from
their staff for the programming.  The Univ of Pennsylvania kept a
programmer working for several years. That's not cheap.

We use CHAMMP to manage all information aspects of a large program,
2700 x ray and nuclear workers, 650 nuclear labs, 6-7000 new sources
a year (non-clinical) 300 x ray sources, etc.

The following, I hope, is not to commercial.

I bought CHAMMP because of its integrated design. It is networked to
two buildings and ten locations. The major complaint from several
staff members is that it is to rigid in its data entry requirements.
That's why I bought it.  Our old data base system had so many
variations on names and locations we were losing track of
information.

I have 5 HP's, 3 clerical and one electronics tech using the system
on a daily basis with few problems.  The vendor has been quick to
implement suggestions and has cleaned up the few bugs that were in
the initial release; all be it, we pay for the service.  Still
cheaper than doing it in house.

I don't understand Bob Carlson's complaints about cost.  I know he
hasn't used CHAMMP.  I'd be curious what it has cost Armando Zhe to
implement the data base at USC.

If you want additional information, contact me directly.

Jerry Rosen

University of Pittsburgh
Phone:  412-624-2728
Fax:    412-624-3562