NRC & EPA: CLEANUP PARADIGMS...

     RADSAFERs (and others interested in rad cleanup standards):

     Following is NRC's response to EPA (EPA's original letter is at the
     end of this message in case you need to refresh your memory on its
     salient points). Recognize that NRC's final standard is presently
     before the Commission.

     Randy Brich, USDOE, Richland, WA
     e-mail: randall_f_brich@rl.gov

     Below is my transcription of a response letter from Shirley Jackson,
     Chairperson, NRC to Carol Browner, Administrator, EPA :

     February 21, 1997

     The Honorable Carol M. Browner
     Administrator
     Environmental Protection Agency
     Washington, DC 20460

     Dear Administrator Browner:

     I am writing in response to your letter of February 7, 1997 in which
     you expressed concern over positions that NRC may be taking regarding
     groundwater remediation and cleanup levels in its final rule on
     radiological criteria for decommissioning.  In particular, you
     indicated concern over the possibility that NRC would increase the 15
     mrem/yr dose criterion for license termination as contained in NRC's
     proposed rule to 30 mrem/yr, and NRC might delete the separate
     groundwater requirements of the proposed rule.

     To begin, the Commission believes that the nation deserves a uniform
     approach to radiation regulation which protects people from
     significant hazard regardless of the source, whether it is Atomic
     Energy Act materials, naturally occurring materials, or other
     materials, and which focuses regulatory resources on the most
     significant hazards.  Further, below an upper safety limit,
     cost-benefit considerations must apply in site specific implementation
     of the radiation protection standards.

     The NRC staff is currently engaged in preparing a final rule for
     Commission consideration.  The Commission wants to assure you that it
     will give careful consideration to EPA's views in reviewing the NRC
     staff's recommendations for finalizing the rule, particularly in the
     matters cited in your February 7 letter.  Nonetheless, as you are
     aware, the NRC staff has previously briefed the OMB, and I have
     previously written to Sally Katzen of OMB, providing the Commission's
     preliminary view that the separate groundwater protection requirement
     may be deleted, and that the appropriate dose criterion is in the
     range between 15 and 30 mrem/yr.  Consequently, there is a possibility
     that in the final rule, when promulgated, the NRC approach may differ
     from what EPA is recommending.  However, the Commission believes that
     its position on these matters will be consistent with the above
     principles, as well as with the proposed Federal Radiation Protection
     guidance.

     In your letter you refer to certain problems with consistency posed by
     two existing NRC guidance documents, the Branch Technical Position
     "Disposal of On-Site Storage of Thorium and Uranium, from Past
     Operations," 46 FR52061, October 1981, and Policy and Guidance
     Directive FC 83-23, "Guidelines for Decontamination of Facilities and
     Equipment Prior to Release for Unrestricted Use or Termination of
     License for Byproduct, Source or Special Nuclear Material License,"
     August 1987.  The Commission recognizes the importance of consistency,
     and its views and concerns on this matter are discussed further in the
     enclosure to this letter.  We will prepare updated regulatory guidance
     which reflects the final rule and delete, as appropriate, reference to
     guidance that is no longer applicable.

     We appreciate being made aware of the possibility that if the EPA
     recommendations are not incorporated into our final rule, EPA would
     reconsider its policy on exempting NRC sites from the National
     Priorities List (NPL).  The Commission will certainly take this into
     consideration in its deliberation on the final rule.

     I also appreciate the offer of continued exchange between the EPA and
     NRC staffs.  As you know the two staffs have been engaged in
     continuous dialogue on the difficult issues related to this rulemaking
     for some time, and the Commission believes that a thorough exchange of
     views at the staff level has already occurred without progress on
     reaching a mutually agreeable approach to risk harmonization.
     However, if you would find it useful, I would be pleased to meet with
     you to discuss general EPA-NRC interface issues.  In the event that we
     agree that legislation is needed to achieve risk harmonization, as
     contemplated on our 1992 MOU, I am prepared to discuss that option.

     Sincerely,

     /s/

     Shirley Ann Jackson

     Enclosure: As stated

     Enclosure
     Additional Discussion of the Need for Regulatory Consistency

     NRC and EPA agree that regulatory consistency in important.  The issue
     of consistency arises in three different ways (1) internal consistency
     of NRC programs; (2) internal consistency of EPA programs; and (3)
     consistency between NRC and EPA programs.  Over the past several
     years, both of our agencies have attempted to make our respective
     programs more internally consistent, and to work together to achieve
     consistency between the Agencies.

     The joint NRC-EPA efforts in this area have been both generic (e.g..,
     under the 1992 NRC-EPA Memorandum on Understanding on Risk
     Harmonization; and through the Interagency Steering Committee on
     Radiation Standards {ISCORS]) and specific (e.g.., uranium mill
     tailings, air emissions standards, groundwater standards).  In all of
     these areas, we have found that there is a tension between achieving
     internal and external consistency.  This is because NRC and EPA, while
     generally achieving the same level of actual public health protection,
     take fundamentally different regulatory approaches.  EPA and NRC have
     fundamental differences (1) as to what constitutes acceptable risk,
     and (2) whether to take a holistic
     (i.e.., all-pathways approach) as opposed to a single
     pathway-by-pathway approach to environmental protection.

     Background

     In the 1992 MOU, both agencies committed to actively explore ways to
     harmonize risk goals and to cooperate in developing a mutually
     agreeable approach to risk assessment methodologies.  The MOU says
     that if differences cannot be resolved, the matter is to be presented
     to the heads of both agencies for resolution.  It also says:

     If both agencies agree...that duplicative regulation in a particular
     area is undesirable, but nevertheless is required by law, then the
     agencies will cooperate in considering and, if appropriate,
     supporting   legislative changes.

     In 1994, the General Accounting Office ("Nuclear Health and Safety:
     Consensus on Acceptable Risk to the Public is Lacking,"
     GAO/RECD=94-190) found disparities in the standards established by the
     different agencies and a lack of consensus on what these standards
     should be.  Also in 1994, Senator John Glenn wrote to NRC, EPA, and
     the Office of Science and Technology Policy requesting an interagency
     "path forward" for solving the problems identified by GAO.  ISCORS was
     formed in 1995 to improve coordination of interagency activities and
     to minimize duplication of efforts in the establishment of cleanup
     standards for radioactively contaminated sites.  While ISCORS has made
     some progress in risk assessment, and has identified risk management
     problems, it has been less successful in resolving risk management
     issues. {ISCORS can only make recommendations to heads of Agencies}

     In 1995, in response to Senator Glenn's letters, NRC and EPA staffs
     jointly completed a "White Paper on Risk Harmonization" and ISCORS
     produced "Risk Harmonization Recommendations."  Both EPA and NRC have
     been attempting to implement these recommendations.

     Approach to Environmental Pathways

     NRC's objection to the pathway-by-pathway approach is not merely that
     it is inconvenient.  NRC recognizes the historical context and legal
     constraints under which EPA operates.  NRC believes that the
     pathway-by-pathway approach is unwise because it encourages the
     compartmentalization of issues that should instead be looked at as
     part of the whole.  This is an issue of what the appropriate approach
     should be to environmental protection.

     For example, EPA and NRC have consistently disagreed with respect to
     the need to include separate groundwater protection criteria in
     decommissioning and HLW disposal standards.  In both cases, NRC
     believes that individual protection criteria, which take into account
     all pathways, are sufficiently protective of the groundwater pathway,
     and represent a more uniform and comprehensive approach to protecting
     public health and safety.  As such, NRC does not agree that there is
     any need for separate groundwater protection criteria.  Additionally,
     NRC continues to believe that EPA's application of Maximum Contaminant
     Levels (MCL's) to decommissioning and repository disposal of HLW is
     fundamentally incompatible with the technical basis EPA employed to
     derive these levels.  The issue is still unresolved in both
     rulemakings.

     Acceptable Risk

     NRC and EPA agree that there are risks that are generally
     unacceptable, risks that are generally acceptable, and risks that may
     or may not be acceptable depending upon cost-benefit and technical
     tradeoffs.  The problem is that EPA and NRC disagree as to the
     numerical cut-points for making these decisions.

     Groundwater ACLs.  The philosophical difference between NRC and EPA
     regarding "acceptable risk" is illustrated by the following example of
     groundwater Alternate Concentration Limits (ACLs) for Uranium Mill
     Tailings Radiation Control Act (UMTRCA) Title II uranium mills.
     Briefly, EPA considers a targeted lifetime risk of 10E-6, but will
     back off (based on technical and/or economic considerations) to a
     lifetime risk of 10E-4 or above.  NRC considers lifetime risks as high
     as 10E-4 to be acceptable for ACL, but applies ALARA to move the
     standard to a more stringent level.  Effectively, there appears to be
     little difference between the final standards selected by our two
     agencies, but the difference in our respective approaches to selecting
     those standards has caused several years of controversy.  EPA finally
     agreed to NRC's wording in the ACL guidance document, but required the
     10E-6 lifetime risk approach to ACLs be applied at DOE's UMTRCA (Title
     1) sites, which NRC ultimately licenses.

     Decommissioning Rule as Attempt by NRC to Achieve Internal Consistency

     NRC agrees with EPA that existing NRC guidance recommends cleanup
     levels for some radionuclides that may result in doses higher than 15
     mrem/year.  The existing guidance (1981 Branch Technical Position and
     Policy and Guidance Directive FC 83-23), which was generated years
     ago, is a mixture of concentration limits, exposure rate limits, and
     references to EPA regulations; and not uniform dose limits (see
     attachment from SECY-91-342A).  The related guidance documents will be
     revised following issuance of the proposed decommissioning rule, which
     will contribute to achieving consistency.  NRC believes that
     establishing a uniform dose criterion will make our decommissioning
     decisions both more rational and more consistent in terms of actual
     public health protection.  This is one of our major reasons for going
     forward with the rulemaking.

     CERCLA and the Decommissioning Rule

     NRC understands EPA's concern that existing NRC criteria may be
     inconsistent with EPA's views on CERCLA. However, attempts to achieve
     consistency with CERCLA policy for non-radiological cleanups may move
     EPA away from consistency with NRC.

     NORM and Indoor Radon

     From a national policy perspective, it makes little sense to require
     remediation of sites contaminated with source material (which is under
     NRC's authority) at the expense of hundreds of millions of dollars,
     when larger volumes of NORM contamination (under EPA's authority)
     posing comparable or greater hazards go unaddressed, for instance,
     coal ash.  We question whether NRC-regulated materials should be held
     to a level of stringency not enforced or recommended for these other
     materials.  We would like to achieve harmonization of these
     inconsistencies (e.g.., through the comparative risk initiative with
     ISCORS)

     The following is a copy of the text of a letter dated 2/7/97 from Ms.
     Browner, Administrator, EPA to Shirley Jackson, Chairman, NRC:

     Shirley Ann Jackson
     Chairman
     Nuclear Regulatory Commission
     etc.

     I am writing regarding the NRC rule on radiological criteria for
     license termination that is expected to be finalized early this year.
     We are concerned that NRC may choose to take a more lenient position
     than it previously proposed concerning ground water remediation and
     cleanup levels.

     We understand that NRC is giving particular consideration to making
     significant changes from its proposed rule of August 22, 1994.  The
     EPA finds these changes, such as increasing the proposed dose limit
     from 15 mrem/yr to as much as 30 mrem/yr and eliminating a separate
     requirement for protecting ground water that could be used as drinking
     water to the Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCLs) established under the
     Safe Drinking Water Act, to be disturbing.

     With regards to ground water, this Administration's position is that
     current or potential future sources of drinking water are a valued
     national resource and should be protected to levels suitable for
     drinking (e.g., MCLs).  A cleanup standard based solely on a
     multipathway dose limit (either 15 or 30 mrem/yr) does not ensure that
     ground water is cleaned up within the aquifer, but instead could rely
     solely on exposure controls.  Therefore, EPA thinks that it is vital
     that the NRC rule protect ground water that is a current or potential
     future source of drinking water.

     If in fact our understanding is correct, then EPA would also consider
     NRC's rule to be not protective under CERCLA and not consistent with
     this and previous Administrations' Ground Water Policy.  EPA has the
     authority to choose not to respond to certain types of releases under
     CERCLA because existing regulatory or other authority under other
     Federal statutes provides for an appropriate response.  EPA has
     previously chosen not to list on its National Priorities List (NPL)
     for CERCLA releases of source, by-product, or special nuclear material
     from any facility with a current license issued by the NRC.  This
     decision was made on the grounds that the NRC has full authority to
     require cleanup of releases from such facilities.

     If NRC were to promulgate its rule with the above-referenced changes,
     EPA would be forced to reconsider its policy of exempting NRC sites
     from the NPL.  This change in EPA listing policy for the NPL would
     reflect the EPA view that NRC regulation would not be adequately
     protective of human health and the environment under CERCLA and the
     National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan
     (NCP).

     In addition to the issues raised by the NRC rulemaking, there appear
     to be consistency issues with two existing NRC guidance (NRC Branch
     Technical Position "Disposal of On-Site Storage of Thorium or Uranium
     from Past Operations," 46 FR 52061, October, 1981, and Policy and
     Guidance Directive FC 83-23 "Guidelines for Decontamination of
     Facilities and Equipment Prior to Release for Unrestricted Use or
     Termination of License for Byproduct, Source, or Special Nuclear
     Material License," August 1987) and the NCP and Superfund guidance
     since they recommend cleanup levels for some radionuclides that may
     result in doses higher than 15 mrem/yr.

     I view these changes to the NRC rulemaking on radiological criteria
     for license termination, and the potential action that may be required
     of EPA, to be very serious matters.  We will be happy to work with
     your staff to ensure the promulgation of a rule, and the development
     of related guidance, that are consistent with CERCLA.

     Sincerely,

     Carol Browner