RE: Low Positive Doses in Personnel Monitoring

Let me also suggest that when a control box or safe is used, please,
please do NOT put your dosimeters in a lead safe. Contrary to popular
belief, there is a high probability that the dosimeters will read
higher the longer they are in the lead safe. Reason is pre-war lead
is highly contaminated, and therefore has one terrific background
exposure. Unfortunately, I have some customers (doctors) who store
their badges in this type of safe, and do NOT believe us when we tell
them to "TAKE THEM OUT" of the safe, and they will reduce their
background exposure while they are NOT wearing their badge....
Wonder why I believe that the medical profession needs some refresher
classes on radiation protection and dosimetry in general? This is
reason number 602!

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -