Another Frontline Comment

I applaud PBS and Frontline for coming out with an objective and
informative program on the subject of nuclear power.  Unfortunately,
because it was factual and objective (and therefore supportive of the
industry), I think it will be blasted by the vocal anti-everything community
as a ploy by the big bad nuclear industry to twist the thinking of the poor
American people.   It was funny, and a little sad, to see that Ralph Nader
and John Magarver, two self-proclaimed experts in what is best for all of
us, were completely unarmed with facts to support their arguments.
This actually may have a negative impact, though, since people may
believe that the anti-nuclear position was intentionally inadequately
represented.  In court, a defendant could get a retrial for that kind of
representation (at least on  the TV shows I watch).

In general,  I think that most people want to know the facts and do what
makes sense.  It's a matter of getting the information out, rekindling
people's interest in the subject, and getting people to think through the
issues.  The Frontline broadcast was a start.  For the most part, I think
we have done a fairly poor job of educating people on the benefits and
risks of nuclear power, choosing instead to hide behind the mystique and
expecting people to trust that everything is OK.  To me,  the most
interesting and beneficial parts of the show were the segment on
France's nuclear industry, and the way that they have gained the
support of their citizens, and the segments that dealt with risk perception
and fears.  I know I tend to focus so much on the technical issues, that
the rest gets lost in the shuffle.

Hans Oldewage,  hdoldew@sandia.gov

PS - my first contribution, if you can call it that, to RADSAFE, so please
excuse the lack of a good disclaimer.  I'm so far down the food chain,
that my employer could probably care less about my views anyway.