Re: Lead aprons

>Dear Radsafers,
>  I have found several small(about the size of a pencil point) holes thru
>out several of my light weight aprons when they were checked under flouro.
>Since they were relatively new I sent them back to the distributor. Has
>anyone else had this problem and am I being too picky since there are
>maybe 3-5 of these tiny holes scattered about. They are located in the
>front area. Thnx in advance.

Figure that the attenuation of the aprons are such than about 1% of the
x-rays get through.  Now - if those few small holes comprise another 1% of
the frontal area - then the transmission would only double to 2%.

Not having seen the holes but, from your description, suspecting they
represent >> 1% of the frontal area - I wouldn't worry.

I have fluoroed THOUSANDS of aprons.  I see SOME structure in virtually ALL
of them.  "Pinholes" are not the norm - but not infrequent either.  Note
also that sometimes the straps are sewn clean through the lead leaving MANY
similarly sized holes.

Ted de Castro
tdc@ehssun.lbl.gov
University of California Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Bldg 90 Rm 0026B
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 486-5256
(510) 486-6939 - FAX