> Von: Richard J Sobilo <rjsobilo@beckman.com>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Potassium Iodide administration
> Datum: Dienstag, 29. April 1997 17:16
>

> Does anyone out there have any information on routine oral administration
> of KI. I am considering the possibility of offering this option for
> researchers performing iodinations  who would like to minimize their
uptake
> of radioiodine. Any ideas or info?
>
> Rich Sobilo    RSO
> Beckman Instruments, Inc.

KI is recommended to be taken in the case of an emergency situation, where
high concentrations of I-131 have been liberated and are expected to cause
very high doses to the thyroid without protection. The uptake of
radioiodine is blocked by the stable iodine.

KI may cause very severe health effects, one being allergic shock.
Therefore it is recommended in my country, that even in the case of a
severe accident, people over 40 years of age should not take KI and several
other restrictions apply.

So I conclude that KI should only be taken in real emergency situations.
There should not one risk be reduced by increasing another one. Reduction
of radioiodine intake should be achieved by improving working techniques,
ventilation etc.

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna, AUSTRIA