Alpha Sampling

I am examining the methodology used for determining the alpha sampling
requirements for airborne and surface contamination at the nuclear power
plant where I work.  We have very low alpha contamination levels as
determined by 10CFR61 waste stream analyses, and from a practical
standpoint, very large air samples or very long count times are needed
to achieve the minimum detection capability for alpha.

Some of the possibilities for practical solutions that our staff have
suggested include using a beta/gamma to alpha ratio or a single nuclide
(such as Cerium-141) to alpha ratio to estimate alpha activity, or to
determine a beta/gamma or Ce-141 level above which, alpha counting
should be performed.

If you know of work that has been done in this area, I would appreciate
knowing about it, or of contacts on this subject.

If posting on radsafe is not desired, please email information to me at
rmleib@centerior.com

Thank you.

Robert M. Leib