Re: Alpha Sampling

     Robert,

     There are at least two publications dealing with Activity Levels of
     TRU in waste streams from US Power Reactors.

     1. EPRI NP-1052, April 1979
     2. EPRI NP-4037, June 1985

     Most recently was an NRC Inspection Report - Haddam Neck 96-12.  You
     can obtain this report from :
     http://www.nrc.gov/OPA/reports/hn9612.htm.

     I'd also be interested in further discussion of this topic from all of
     you Radsafers out there.

     After reading Haddam Neck, you may want to try an convince you staff
     that hanging your hat totally on your air sampling program is not a
     very safe risk.  Too many variables.

     My recommendation is:

     Take some comprehensive surveys, air samples and smear samples, of
     various areas throughout your plant.  Each sampling path should be
     representative of the sources/potential sources of intake (e.g., I
     don't think you would necessarily see the same nuclides in the
     Auxiliary Building as you would in the Fuel Pool etc. may not even see
     TRU in some aux bldg areas.)  Send the samples off to a lab for
     composite analysis.  From the analysis, develop correlation factors
     and correlate TRU off of Ce144 or Co60 or any of the others mentioned
     in the EPRI report, that are present in your samples. Another method
     would be to correlate Pu239/240 from Ce144 and correlate the rest of
     the TRU from the calculated Pu239/240.  If you have, say LLD levels of
     Ce144, use Co60 to correlate Ce144 and then use Ce144 to correlate the
     rest of the TRU. At some point, fecal samples come into play also.
     Haddam Neck saw small amounts of Co60 during in-vivo bioassay however
     they calculated some sizeable bone doses from the TRU (don't know if
     this issue has been resolved yet).  Read the report.

     We have an alpha air sample program and we are currently evaluating
     the TRU issue ourselves so any communication on the subject would be
     appreciated.

     Thanks,

     Werner Paulhardt
     Supervisor-Dosimetry
     Calvert Cliff Nuclear Power Plant
     Lusby, MD.  20657
     (410) 495-4773
     werner.k.paulhardt@bge.com

     The above comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the
     opinion/policy/programs of BGE.