Could a human survive on D2O?

I recall reading somewhere that plant seeds won't germinate on D2O, and that
mice offered pure D2O to drink die almost as quickly as mice that get no water
at all.  I can't remember the source, which was in the 70s and was something
like a book in the Scientic American series, not a journal article of any sort
anyway.

Can anyone enlighten me?  If i drink heavy water all the time i suppose my
weight would eventually increase from 70gk to 75, but will anything else
happen?

-dk