RSO qualifications

This may not directly address your question, but it may help provide
some background into the RSO discussion:

The licensee submits a request to name an RSO, along with that
individual's education, training and experience.  There are often
guidelines as to acceptable qualifications versus the licensed
authorization.  If the qualifications are acceptable, the
individual is listed on the license.

Note that the RSO is designated at the licensees "responsible"
person and is required to ensure all necessary requirements are met,
including ensuring everyone (including the RSO!) is appropriately
trained.  So it becomes a performance based standard for the RSO to
obtain any necessary continuing education to perform the job.

As such, it would be extremely rare for the regulatory agency to
require manditory CEU's for an RSO except through escalated
enforcement (e.g., their compliance history gets bad enough to
require sanctions).  So you could say the RSO's qualifications are
audited during each Agency inspection.

Wes

> Date sent:      Mon, 5 May 97 13:44:34 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           MOS3%RP%DCPP@go50.comp.pge.com
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        re:RADSAFE digest 1368

> I was very interested in the discussion about RSO qualifications.  We power
> plant health physicists have a different view of the field in general, but we
> typically have a written procedure based on ANSI standards that defines the
> acceptability of radiation protection personnel.
>
> For RSO training, is there an accrediting body that grants continuing
> education credits for maintaining qualifications?  Or, is an RSO's background
> and training audited annually?

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us