re: New Jersey Incident

     Radsafers -

     I was equally appalled by the evacuation of the school and its closing
     for one day for inspection.  As a member of the NJ HPS and a past
     president, we have been trying for years to get the opportunity to
     present to local schools.   We sent out letters to the high schools
     informing them of our Speaker's Bureau (Ellen Hocheiser was key in
     setting up the program), we have attended Science Teacher Conventions
     and open houses through out the state.  The end result - we are
     invited to about five schools a year.  Some of these schools are
     repeat requests.  We can't force people to invite us, we can only
     offer.  Maybe with this incident interest will increase.  We have a
     chapter meeting in about a week and I'm sure this will come up.  We
     will probably contact Colonia High School directly and see if they are
     interested now.

     As for the reaction of the state, it was obviously overkill, but they
     were dealing with children and trying to convince parents that there
     is nothing to worry about is nearly impossible.  About ten years ago
     at a school a few miles from this one a student brought home an item
     that had been in a science room closet for years.  It turned out to be
     50 mCi Ra-226 nasal applicator.  The state official quoted in the
     article responded to that incident as well.  He is correct in saying
     that you never know what your dealing with until someone experienced
     can evaluate the situation.

     From NJ-

     Mike Vala
     mvala@usccmail.bms.com

       We've certainly got some high powered, well connected individuals
     here on
       radsafe.  Come on guys, see what you can do!!  If each member of our
     nuclear
       industry contributed to a media campaign, it wouldn't cost any
     single entity
       much, but could sure make huge difference for all of us in the long
     run.
       Possibly even go a long way towards reviving the
       nuclear industry here in the good ol' U.S. of A.  Perhaps HPS could
     coordinate

        the effort?

       Well I'll get off my soap box now.  Thanks one and all,
       Robin Siskel
       All the usual disclaimers,
       (email Robin_Siskel@notes.ypm.gov)