Re: Just a thought...

Robin_Siskel@NOTES.YMP.GOV wrote:

>   This sort of thing is really sad.  I would give almost anything to see the
>   nuclear industry pull together to do some widespread national educational adds
>    to try to combat some of the irrational public fear out there.
>   Remember the mobile oil adds in Time Mag.?  Polls indicated that the general
>   public had a vastly improved view of the oil giants after those adds, because
>   they now had some understanding of the associated benefits.
>
>   We've certainly got some high powered, well connected individuals here on
>   radsafe.  Come on guys, see what you can do!!  If each member of our nuclear
>   industry contributed to a media campaign, it wouldn't cost any single entity
>   much, but could sure make huge difference for all of us in the long run.
>   Possibly even go a long way towards reviving the
>   nuclear industry here in the good ol' U.S. of A.  Perhaps HPS could coordinate
>    the effort?

There is an organization of Nuclear Power plant operators called Nuclear
Energy Institute, NEI.  NEI used to have many, many very good
advertisments in many magazines about the benefits of nuclear power.
Maybe NEI could be persuaded to run ads to correct the public's
impression that a little radiation will kill you?  Any response from an
NEI person would help.  Al Tschaeche  antatnsu@pacbell.net