Re: Hanford Explosion

I have lots of information. I was the duty officer for the Washington
State Division of Radiation Protection that night, and since it was an
ALERT, we responded. Unfortunately, we are still following up and
participating in our own investigation, but I will write a summary from
our perspective when I have the time. DOE's press release is pretty good.
We are acting as an independent agency (both because of  our regulatory
program for radioactive air emissions and at the request of DOE, to
verify that no plutonium escaped to put any public fears to rest. We
should have that done by mid week. I'll write a summary then. So far,
they don't know what caused the explosion.

Allen W. Conklin
Head, Air Emissions & Defense Waste
Division of Radiation Protection
Department of Health