Re: Ionization at 80 eV?

Even though x-radiation can be produced at very low energies. For
protection purposes energies less than 5 keV can not penetrate the vacuum
container wall unless a special low absorbtion (ie one micron Be) window is
incorporated. Therefore they can be neglected???. Is this a fair
assumption.?

M.Malaxos
Radiation Safety Services
Fax 61 294 1533
email rss@arach.net.au

---------
> From: Pickett, Bruce D <Bruce.Pickett@PSS.Boeing.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Ionization at 80 eV?
> Date: Saturday, 17 May 1997 3:39
>
> >Someone called our office with questions about the safety of a device
they
> >are using. Apparently, this is some type of a mass spec device that is
used
> >as a helium leak detector, and which has an electrical potential across
> >cathode and anode. We were told that the "amount of radiation produced
is 80
> >electron volts of ionized radiation"; we don't know if this information
comes
> >from a label on the device, or the operator's manual, or somewhere else.
> >
> >In talking this over in our office here, we're not certain that
ionization
> >would even occur at such a low potential as 80 eV (we're normally
working
> >with thousands to hundreds of thousands of times this potential).
However, we