Re: RADSAFE digest 1389

> "Chris Clement" <clement@vaxxine.com> 05/21/97 09:12 >>>
>Radsafers:
>
>I'm interested in getting a reference on the soil ingestion rate
>by workers during an  excavation.  Is it generally assumed that
>trained workers will not ingest any soil, or is this an
>over-simplification?  Is this a reasonable assumption if they
>are required to wear dust masks in the contaminated area?
>I have a reference on adult ingestion rates during gardening
>activities (about 60 mg/h), but nothing for workers.
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Chris Clement
>Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Office
>Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
>clement@vaxxine.com

Chris,

The US EPA has a document, OSWER DIRECTIVE: 9285.6-03, March 25, 1991,
"Risk Assessment Guidance ... Standard Default Exposure Factors" that lists
the daily ingestion of soil and dust at 50 mg for commercial/industial
workers.  Attachment B provides the background for selection of this value.
 It references a paper (Hawley, J.K. 1985. Assessment of health risk from
exposure to contaminated soil. Risk Analysis 5(4):289-302) which estimated
the following residential adult soil ingestion rates:
     50 mg/day - living space
    110 mg/day - cleaning dusty areas
    480 mg/day - outdoor, yardwork

Attachment B indicates that 480 mg/day may be used for outdoor construction
or landscaping activities.

If you would like a copy of the EPA document please respond by direct
E-mail as I don't read every Radsafe posting.

Carl Efird, CHP
crefird@bechtel.com