Re: Surplus LSCs To Good Home(s)

Dear Dave,

The Canadian Institute for Radiation Safety (CAIRS - pronounce "CAIRS") is a
non-profit institute dedicated to radiation safety in the home, the
workplace, and the environment.  A scintilation counter would be of great
use to us at our National Laboratory.

We often receive requests for contamination  surveys and bioassay tests but
are unable to provide them due to lack of equipment.  We also do research
applied research for our local govt and regulatory agencies.  A
scintillation counter would greatly improve the types of services we can
provide.

If you feel we qualify as a candidate please contact me at your earliest
convenience.

Best Regards,

At 02:39 PM 5/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The Public Service Electric & Gas Nuclear Business Unit currently has
>2 surplus liquid scintillation counters looking for good homes.  Both
>units were in service at our Nuclear Training Facility that has since
>transferred their functions into the stations.  They are operational
>and have "low mileage".  Some spare parts may also be available.
>Specifications are as follows:
>
>One each:   Beckman Model LS 5801 with installed 30 microCurie Cs-137
>            source
>
>One each:   Tri-Carb Model 300 with installed 10 microCurie Ra-226
>            source
>
>We would prefer to donate these units to academic or non-profit
>organizations, so they will receive preferential consideration.  The
>recipient(s) of these units must be licensed to receive and possess
>the quantities of radioactive material described above.  In addition,
>the recipient would also be responsible for any shipping and handling
>charges from our Salem, NJ facility.  Arrangements could probably be
>made to remove the sources for shipping in separate containers to
>lower the packaging and shipping costs on the units themselves.
>
>If you have an interest in either of these units, please respond to
>me directly, via e-mail, with the following information:
>
>1)  Your name, day time phone number and e-mail address
>
>2)  Your organization/institution
>
>3)  Intended use(s) for the units
>
>Please respond as promptly as possible, plans were in progress to
>remove the sources for return to the manufacture so that the units
>themselves could be disposed of as commercial trash.  We thought this
>would be an awful waste and postponed that operation to find them
>good homes.
>
>Dave Ruyter
>dama@waterw.com

Grant Cubbon