IATA regs

Pat,

49 CFR,  IAEA Safety  Series No. 6 1985 (as amended 1990), and ICAO/IATA
are equivalent concerning packaging for excepted packages of radioactive
material.   When HM169A was published on September 28, 1995 the "strong,
tight package"  was replaced by slightly more specific requirements.  An
excepted package  for radioactive  material must  now meet  the  general
design requirements specified in 49 CFR 173.410; these are equivalent to
the general design requirements specified in IATA-97 Section 10.5.3.

Although IATA-97  doesn't specify  compliance with  Sections 10.5.3.10 -
10.5.3.12 I  think this  is a  clerical error from rewriting IAEA Safety
Series  No.   6  1985  (as  amended  1990)  since  these  sections  were
specifically for  air transport.   There  is no change in IAEA ST-1 1996
from the previous requirements.

Also, note  that the excepted package notice specified in 49 CFR 173.422
is required  for all  excepted package  shipments even  though it is not
mentioned whatsoever in IATA-97.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
Radiation Physics Consultant to
Federal Express Corporation
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 504-924-1473
Fax: 504-924-4269
-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )-------------
    03-Jun-97 09:47 CDT
Sb: IATA  regs
Fm: "Patrick McDermott" > INTERNET:mcdermot@HELEN.RUTGERS.EDU

We are recieving some limited quantity radioactive materials from
another institution in the near future.  We are supplying the
styrofoam inserts as well as the outer boxes.  DOT regs do not
requiere any package certifications for "strong tight containers".
The inistitution that is sending us the materials wants to know if
the boxes we are sending them conform to IATA regs.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Patrick J. McDermott
Rutgers Environmental Health and Safety
mcdermot@helen.rutgers.edu