IATA Regs -- the details!

     My apologies if this information is repetitive from other messages.

     Current IATA regs require use of a 4"x4" certification for excepted
     quantities of hazardous materials (DGR Section 2.7) which is attached
     directly to the outside of the package.  For materials with a subrisk
     of category 6 (toxic), there is no minimum threshold for identifying
     these materials.  Recently we were unable to send an international
     shipment containing limited quantity amounts (nano to pico grams) of
     radioactive vanadium chloride (LD50 = 350 mg/kg).

     Apparently, all international airlines were refusing any package that
     was identified as having any type of category 6 hazard.  (I didn't
     check FedEx because of their Paris hub -- which does not allow limited
     quantity packaging.)  If anyone has had success with sending this type
     of package to Europe, please let me know.

     Thanks,
     Todd Sundsmo
     TBSundsmo@lbl.gov