RE: DOE 5400.1 What is "Dry"?

David,

Section 7.3 of NUREG/CR-5489, "Manual for Conducting Radiological
Surveys in Support of License Termination," discusses sample
preparation. For soil samples it states, "If non-volatile elements are
the only contaminants of concern the samples are dried at approximately
110 C for a minimum of 12 hours; volatile radionuclides (H-3, Tc-99, and
iodides) must be separated from the sample before drying to avoid loss
of the radionuclide of interest."

Ben Morgan, CHP

ben.morgan@cplc.com

I must admit that I'm not an official spokesperson for CP&L
>From: 	David Biela[SMTP:bielad@wv.doe.gov]
>We are currently doing some work with contaminated soils and have discussed
>the topic of "what is dry weight" for the purpose of DOE 5400.1 If anyone has
>had to deal with the determination of what is "DRY" please let me know and if
>there are ref. documents, it would be appreciated.
David Biela