bnl

Dear Radsafers-

	This note is for those of you who may be interested in the current
situation here at Brookhaven National Laboratory.

	Immediately following DOE Secretary Pena's announcement on May 2nd of the
termination of the operating contract with Associated Universities, Inc.,
several BNL scientists formed an organization named Friends of Brookhaven
(FOB).  We have since been working to (1) calm the crisis that has
erupted, (2) influence the choice of a new contractor at BNL, and (3)
reach out to our local community, our elected representatives, and other
scientists worldwide to gain support for our institution.  We do this by
circulating petitions (presented to DOE), encouraging attendance at local
meetings devoted to events at BNL, initiating letter-writing campaigns in
support of BNL, and meeting with the media.

	We have a web site (www.buoy.com/~fob) that gives more information.  We
would appreciate any help you could lend in reaching your scientific and
political communities.

Be happy and connect!
Mon Feb 24 1997 09:33 AM

kaplan@bnl.gov