Re: RADIUM ORE REVIGATOR

Coleman, Jesse H. wrote:

> Two weeks ago, I saw a "Radium Ore Revigator" in an antique store in
> western Ky.  It was a ceramic crock, bell shaped, about 2 feet tall with
> a ceramic lid and a small spout at the bottom.  It had the following
> glazed markings:
> On front:       Radium Ore "Revigator"
>                 Patd. 7-16-12  Trade Mark
>                 The Radium Ore Revigator Co.
>                 Revigator Building
>                 San Francisco Cal
> On both sides:          1 Fill Jar every night
>                 2 Use hydrant or any good water
>                 3 Drink freely when thirsty and upon arising and retiring  Average six
> or more glasses daily
>                 Scrub with stiff brush and scald monthly.
>
> I guess radium was good for you back in 1912.  I had no instrument at
> the time so did no survey.  How hot are these things and how much radium
> do they contain?  Radium is regulated by the states, but what is the
> legal status of this thing?
>
> Jesse H. Coleman
> Health Physicist, MPB 1B-M
> Voice:   205-386-2993
> FAX:     205-386-2370
> e-mail:  jhcoleman@tva.gov

	In fact, Radium was thought to be good for you in 1912. These
items were pretty common. The inside of the jar was typically coated
with Radium of various chemical forms, usually salts. Most jars
contained uCi ranges, but some contained mCi ranges of Radium-226.

	The regulatory status of these jars varies from state to state.
Some states will pick them up and pay for the disposal costs, others
will charge the "generator" for disposal. The most cost effective option
for the disposal of these items is as NARM at Richland. The volume is
too small for Envirocare and Barnwell doesn't really like Radium.

	Since the material is Radium-226, the waste would be
classified as either NORM (Naturally Occurring Radioactive
Material) or NARM (Naturally Occurring or Accelerator Produced
Radioactive Material). Classification as LLRW would be incorrect and
would adversly affect disposal options and disposal price.

	Maybe a call to the Commonwealth of Kentucky would be
appropriate. The antique store owner probably doesn't know that it is
radioactive. Although unlikely, it is possible that his store may have
become contaminated.

	Jim Williams
	Thomas Gray & Associates
	5227 Blossom