Re: Estimate DAC

In "Introduction to Health Physics", 1969 Edition, Cember has a brief
discussion of resuspension factors.  He states that the resuspension factor
varies from about 10E-4 to 10E-8, depending upon the conditions, with a
value of 10E-6 being reasonable for the purpose of estimating the hazard
from surface contamination.

During the recovery efforts at TMI-2 in 1980-1984 period, many entries were
made into the reactor building, a very contaminated environment.  We took
hundreds of air samples, both fixed location and lapel/breathing zone, and
compared them to surface contamination levels.  The analysis of all that
data led us to the conclusion that Cember's brief statements from a decade
earlier, were absolutely correct.  If there were little work activity in
the area, 10E-8 was about right;  if the work activity were moderate, like
walking around, 10E-6 was about right;  if the work activity were vigorous,
like decon efforts or significantly disturbing the surfaces, 10E-4 was
about right.

Paul E. Ruhter
ruh@inel.gov

Off-line - Go Utah Jazz!!!!!  :>)  (Melissa, I didn't say that!!)