Radon and Polyester

From: Paul E Ruhter@INEL on 06/12/97 07:24 AM

To:   radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
cc:
Subject:  Radon and Polyester

This is a common issue at the INEEL, being located in the Intermountain
Region.  The attraction is due to the buildup of static charge which
attracts the radon progeny, generally at the points of friction like the
knees and elbows.  Another "fix" is the use of "static eliminator" sprays
on these locations; when sprayed on before walking about the plant, it
seems to minimize the collection of radioactivity and the resulting alarms.

The usual, intuitively obvious but regrettably needed, reminder that I
        alone am responsible for the contents of my messages!

        Paul E. Ruhter   CHP
        Supervisor, Radiation Dosimetry & Records
        Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies Company
        Idaho National Engineering & Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)
        e-mail:   ruh@inel.gov