What does "NIST Traceability" really mean?

All,

I'd like to find out what "NIST traceability" of standards really means
in the context of ANSI/HPS N13.30-1996, "Performance Criteria for
Radiobioassay.  An American National Standard."  NIST Traceability is
not defined in N13.30, but it is defined, at least for manufacturers, in
ANSI N42.22-1995.

My understanding is that a standard radionuclide solution bought from
NIST is a "certified source" (at least until one opens the flame-sealed
glass ampoule and it begins to evaporate).  One can prepare "derived
traceable sources" from certified sources, such as dilutions, etc.
However, to be "NIST traceable," one must participate in a Measurements
Assurance Program (MAP) with NIST, a two-way exchange of samples and
unknowns.  One's measurement program must get the right answer for
samples supplied to it by NIST, and NIST must agree, after it makes
measurements on them, that samples supplied by one's program have the
activity, concentration, etc. that one claimed they had.

My colleague at PNNL, Jay MacLellan, points out that N42.22 section
6.3.d. addresses traceability of derived sources.  That section states,
"NIST verification of derived sources (e.g., charcoal cartridges,
solids, water equivalent sources, filters, etc.) is recommended.
However, due to the diversity of secondary sources, opportunities for
verification with NIST may be limited due to the costs and extra
resources necessary for special calibrations.  In this case, the derived
sources may be termed traceable provided the procedures subsequent to
establishment of traceability are subjected to an internal MAP that has
been examined and approved by qualified individuals.  (Although the term
traceable is applied to derived sources, NIST does not accept
responsibility for the accuracy of the procedures used to prepare such
sources.)"

I'd like to know what in-house and commercial "service laboratories" (in
the N13.30 sense of the lab that analyzes bioassay samples) are actually
doing, and what customers of service labs are accepting as "NIST
traceability" for purposes of N13.30.

Thanks.