Mexican certificate

> Jose Lopez and others commented that they had not heard about the new
> import requirement in Mexico ("Sanitation Certificate") that
> reportedly required sending an agency in Mexico "A sample of 1 (one)
> microCurie of radionuclide in a hourglass of 5 thousands of a liter"
> in advance of planned import of the radionuclide.

It appears that the regulation does exist & that some firms (e.g.
Amersham) are actively working with officials in Mexico in order to get
it repealed.  In the interim, companies doing importing and exporting
that involved Mexico apparently have been successful in gaining
exceptions when this issue has been raised.

Jose Lopez mentioned the session "Radiological Protection in Latin
America" that is to take place on Thursday, July 3, 1997 during the HPS
meeting in San Antonio.  He noted that the head of the Comision Nacional
de Seguridad Nuclear y Salvaguardias ( the equivalent of the US NRC),
Ingeniero J. Raul Ortiz-Magana, will be presenting a paper.

While I expect to miss this meeting, I hope there will be a lively
discussion of this regulation!

Thanks to all who responded to my question.

Elsa Nimmo
Honeywell-Measurex
nimmo_elsa@measurex.com