Re: Contaminated Hosp Pipes

General thoughts,

Organic crud probably is accumulating iodine, and it
is likely that corrosion centers/pits/etc. are
also accumulating iodine.  Some of this is chemical,
some mechanical, all of it is very difficult to
remove in situ.  If you don't feel comfortable
waiting for decay to happen, a good "roto-rooter"
job likely will help some.

The only alternative that I have heard of involves
removal of all the piping (most expensive and
disruptive).

The drain pipe clean-out will probably reduce the
levels, presently about 0.5 mR/h general area and 3 mR/h
at the pipe--using the ancient exposure rate units--which presumably are
the highest levels found in the surveys.
How accessible are these pipes? If members of the general
public can't readily get access, perhaps some labels
warning against loitering or prolonged contact would
suffice.  If there are areas with levels greater than
5 mR/h at 30 cm from the surface of the pipe, posting as a
radiation area would be required in the USA.

For the long term, you might consider, if possible
in your hospital, placing radionuclide therapy
patients in rooms on lower floors.

Good Luck,

MikeG.