how many sensitive cells?

Wade's quotes relate to a question that I have never
gotten a clear answer )primarily because I have not been
willing to stand uyp and ask the dumb question at the
appropriate forum).  That is,  why is individual radiation risk related to
specific energy (dose, energy per unit mass) and
not total energy absorbed?

The conclusion that I have come to is that specific energy is simply a
convenient way to do measurements and that to a
first approximation every wieghs the same (within +/- a factor of two).
And if one threw out the body water, fat content, and  other nonsentive
body components (which are not risk
contributors via radiation produced changes)
then the distribution is probably even tighter.  So to a first
approximation most adults can be treated the same in terms of target
cells.

Has anyone seen data or arguments along this line, or
is this a really dumb approach to the above question?
(This is really a Friday topic.)
--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future