Contaminated Hosp Pipes

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my iodine-131 in pipes query.

Yes we have labelled the pipes as a potential hazard. We have also
written guidance into local safety rules regarding the pipes. Moving down
the building was considered as too expensive.

We have now successfully purged one of the affected pipes. Before the
next appropriate patient we will try the inactive iodine to bind and
block possible contamination sites.

I also agree that the potential doses from this external radiation
source are very small indeed, and because of this we have dismissed the
shielding option, so far.

However..........our Estates and Maintenance people tell me that these
pipes are prone to cracking, splitting, and leaking. Have I got a
potentially serious contamination incident on my hands.......? (they
think so, they also would like to know why 24yrs ago when the hospital
openned they were not made aware of this source of radiation in their
pipes!)

I may well wish to pick your brains again on a related subject in the
future - when do we allow I-131 therapy patients to leave hoapital, and
how do we determine this. I am a little worried about present UK
guidance.

Regards

Andy H
a.hancock@cxwms.ac.uk
Charing X Hosp

P.S. do e-mail addresses bother you as to location, well
cxwms = Charing Cross & Westminster Medical School, so there!