Re: how many sensitive cells?

A very good source Wade,

I don't have the Bond et al (1991, NAS) source at hand. If you do can you
share it?

As Dave notes, education in biology has been extremely limited in hp education
and training: it is also "overlooked" :-) as Wade notes about the data by UBIN
(since most university and other gov't training programs are funded by those
who are committed to UBIN and their funding agencies).

The "biology rationale" summarized by Dave and others is part of the problem.
This is the "disinformation" that rationalize the basis for the LNT and
extreme rad protection (as evidenced by the concerns about opening I-131 in
hoods and being exposed to a patient - radiophobia for which we can not blame
the "ignorant media", and this isn't just "we have to because our ignorant
regulators make us", this is going out of our way to add cost and fear to rad
exposures, even though 1.3 mr/hr is 100 times background!, it's nothing
compared to the dose to the "wearer" :-)  which has been shown to have no
adverse effects.

Getting a Tl-201 cardiac stress test, with 20 mr/hr external contact dose,
setting off nuclear plant monitors up to 3 weeks later as recently discussed
here, comes with a brochure that says this is done "a million times a year
with no adverse health effects". Studies following patients confirm it. But we
foolishly buy and use monitors set at such levels, actively question trivial
exposures, and, *by our own actions*, create adverse reactions in the public,
not even constrained by the foolishness of gov't regulators both from the lack
of scientific/technical training and from efforts to justify make-work for
bureaucratic advantages - and we blame the media??

Yet of the hundreds on this list and elsewhere that do know better, and talk
about "educating the kids" and "advocating to provide understanding with the
media", we produce no substantive response to this sad state of affairs. And
while the HPS Presidents, who have reviewed the evidence, especially as
provided by Wade Patterson, and published at his own initiative and expense in
the HPJ, take a policy position that states that there can be no risk under 5
rem/year, 10 rem lifetime (though that one's conservatively inconsistent with
the scientific evidence).

Is anybody listening? Is there ANY science anymore?

Thanks Wade, (and a few other 'personal notes' :-)

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com
Radiation, Science, and Health, Inc.