Re: PI with I-131 Treatment and Immediate Return to Work

Myung Chul Jo wrote:

> I feel this issue may be an interest to some of us. A PI (professor) who
> received I-131 treatment as an outpatient (15 mCi and 45% uptake) and she
> was discharged with a few
> instruction such as not to sleep with someone for next 5 days, and keep
> distance from children.

My experience with my wife who had theraputic treatment for a
hyperthyroid problem is:  I received no significant dose from her
I-131.  I did receive some dose, but it was not significant.  I did not
mind kissing her although it meant that I absorbed about 10000 dpm of
I-131.  Using the telephone after she did gave me about 1000 dpm.  Using
the same fork and knife gave me about 500 dpm.  None of that activity
produced any significant dose to me.  I consider it bad radiation
protection to do anything about such low doses as these.

>I would not want to sit by someone who has
> measurable amount of radiation level.

Why on earth not?  The dose you get is miniscule and not significant and
cannot possibly hurt you.  If you can cite any data that demonstrate you
might be harmed by the tiny dose you might receive from such a person, I
would appreciate it greatly if you would provide the citation.  I will
appreciate any suggestions.  My suggestion is to ignore the whole
thing.  Or is there something here I don't get?

Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net