Re[2]: Poor P/Button Switch Contacts ESP-2

Subject: Re: Poor P/Button Switch Contacts ESP-2
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet/Unix
Date:    6/21/97 5:57 AM

>I have a couple of questions that I hope someone out their is willing to
comment on.

>1       Has anyone had trouble with push button contacts on an Eberline ESP-2.

>         Contact is made across two printed circuit tracks by a ?? conductive
button about 3 mm       diameter connect to a flexible apron. Cleaning the
tracks and button surfaces did not seem to      make a permanent difference. It
is time consuming removing the circuit boards to access the     switch
surfaces so I want to get it right at the next attempt.

        I do not have an ESP-2 but I do have four Eberline SRM-200s, similar to
the ESP-2, which I have had since 1988.  I have had similar problems with the
"chiclet" type push buttons since 1988 - problems from double contacts to no
instrument response to the switches at all.  Sometimes cleaning the contacts and
resetting the units worked.  Most of the time, repair vendors stated that the
problems were the result of bad microprocessors or pc boards in general.  I have
had to have board replacements on all of the units with two units having two
board replacements.

        The SRM-200s are used lightly at my facility,generally for laboratory
counting of beta and gamma contamination wipe samples.  In my opinion, base on
my past experiences with the instruments, the SRM-200 is not sufficiently
"hardened" for use in areas where EM spikes occur as a result of arc welding
(causes the instruments to severely malfunction and have to be reset and
restandardized each time) or in dusty environments (i.e. where significant
grinding occurs).

        The SRM-200s are very nice multi-configuration instruments when they are
working properly.  In my experience, however, they spend more time
malfunctioning than operating correctly.

Boyd H. Rose, CM
Radiation Protection Officer
General Dynamics Land Systems Division
roseb@gdls.com

The opinions expresses above are solely my own and do not under any
circumstance reflect those of my employer.