Re: EMF Shielding

At 02:43 PM 6/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Radsafers -
>
>Here's a question for all those non-ionizing types out there.
>
>What is the best material for shielding EMF radiation?...from the
>information I've been able to gather, it's some sort of mysterious
>alloy.
>
>The problem we're having is a jittery computer monitor due to its
>close proximity to our electric service entering the building
>adjacent to where this monitor is being used.  Moving the monitor
>away from the source diminishes the screen jitters, but not
>completely.
>
>A company called Field Management Services sells a "Jitterbug"
>monitor shield to take care of this kind of problem.  The problem
>with the jitterbug is that it costs around $700.00.
>
>Just wondering if a piece of metal of some sort would solve our
>problem for cheaper.
>
>Thanks
>Ron Amoling
>amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu

The enclosures for VDT's are fabricated from amumetal which is an 80% Nickel
alloy shielding material.  Low carbon steel can also be used to effectively
reduce elevated magnetic fields.  In most cases (depending on field
strength) enclosures can be fabricated in house to reduce magnetic fields
below 10 milligauss (minimal level which affects computer monitors) at a
fraction of the cost of commercial vendors.  Although they may not look as
pretty they can certainly be effective in mitigating elevated magnetic
fields.  We have made some of these in the past.
Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.  You have my number?

Good Luck,

Sid Paula
spaula@biosun.harvard.edu