Re: Iodine capsules and radiophobia

Richard Smart wrote:

> At 08:30 AM 23.6.97 -0500, Andy Hancock  wrote:
>

> >Most of the patients who receive radioiodine therapy are elderly,
> >therefore there is limited useful follow-up data on cancer incidence
> >within this patient group.
>
> My experience at St. George Hospital is that most patients with thyroid
> carcinoma are YOUNG not old. I have reviewed the age distribution of our
> patients for the 4 year period 1992-1995. The peak of the distribution was
> for the 40 year olds. We treated more 20 and 30 year olds than we did
> patients in their 50s and 60s.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard
>
> Richard Smart PhD
> Department of Nuclear Medicine
> St. George Hospital
> Kogarah, NSW 2217
> Australia
> Tel:61 2 9350 3112
> Fax:61 2 9350 3991
> Email:R.Smart@unsw.edu.au

You're right I made an unqualified generalisation based on my experience
of giving these capsules back in the mid-eighties (they all seemed old to
me then). I think a lot depends upon the hospital involved and more
specifically the individual consultants. My colleagues confirm that we
treat many patients younger than 60 and a fair proportion under 40.
Incidentally the last patient I myself administered a capsule to (last
week as the Chief Technologist was sick) was female and only 24.

I certainly agree with you about the risks.

Regards

Andy H
a.hancock@cxwms.ac.uk