Re[2]: LLD Question for Gross Alpha/Beta Counting

I do not have a reference available which tells how to address your specific
counting question.  Also, without knowing more about your source sample
characteristics (nuclide(s), substrate(s), etc.) and counting parameters, my
response will be very general.

With your type of detector configuration, you are able to set your detector
voltage such that you can count either alpha or alpha+beta.

You could determine LLD for gross alpha/beta counting by calculating the alpha
and beta LLDs separately and then adding them or you could determine LLD from
the alpha+beta proportional region plateau.  Your LLDs as determined by both
methods may and most likely will differ due to various factors (counts taken at
different times as opposed to coincidentally, etc.).  As the number of counts
increase (sample size becomes large or more samples are taken) for a given
source sample, the LLD's as determined by the two methods should converge.

To determine LLD by adding the separate alpha and beta LLD's, you can refer many
standard statistics references on performing operations (summing, multiplying,
etc.) on statistical measurements.  Radiation Detection and Measurement by Knoll
gives a good summary of how such an addition is done for counting measurements.

Also, you may want to review NCRP Report No. 58, A Handbook of Radioactivity
Measurements, or more current reference for proportional counting procedures.
There are also two recent articles in Health Physics (Feb, Mar, or Apr. 1997) by
Fong, S.H., et. al. on LLD.

I hope this is some assistance to you.

Boyd H. Rose, CM
Radiation Protection Officer
General Dynamics Land Systems Division
roseb@gdls.com

The opinions expresses above are solely my own and do not under any circumstance
 reflect those of my employer.