Re: Soc. Sec. # on Official Records

It is my understanding that SSN's are not to be
used as identification numbers with the exception
of health records, which includes dosimetry
records.  Contrary to this most organizations I
have been associated with use the SSN's as a
general ID number.  Universities identify their
students with SSN's also.  As long as the ID
numbers are kept confidential there should not be
a problem with abuse of the SSN's.  If someone
really wants to break the rules SSN's would be
available in an employees personnel file.

Gene