Re: FW: Mice and elephants

     So does a 1 Sv exposure lead to higher risks of radiation induced
     cancers in sumo wrestlers than in jockeys or not???  (my version of
     what I think was the original question - it's been a while)

     Seriously, one point is clear from the excellent and thought provoking
     response below by Paul Unrau:  many of us are involved with practical
     applications of radiation protection (meaning we no longer have close
     ties with academia).  Our own education related to cancer causing
     mechanisms (radiogenic or otherwise) is rudimentary at best and
     sometimes decades old.  Unfortunately, occupational health physicists
     and regulators do not have time to assimilate detailed information on
     up to date developments in this area to help them "think like
     biologists" more than they do.  How, then, can advances in radiation
     biology be effectively translated into the process of promulgating
     radiation protection regulations?

     That bridge in knowledge must be improved upon if legitimate and
     defensible alternatives to LNT are to be found for deriving dose
     limits.  And until such alternatives are based on sound radiation
     biology, it would be rash to scrap LNT -FOR STANDARD SETTING PURPOSES-
     based on emotionalism alone (even if we do agree that it is not
     representative of actual risk).  LNT may be a leaky boat, but what
     does it do for our credibility if we abandon it for something no
     better?

     Happy 4th of July (with apologies to our friends in the UK)!

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com