RAM Shipping Question

This may be a stupid question for those in the shipping biz, but it's been
bugging me for a while.  Can a person put a package of properly packaged (in
this case limited quantity) RAM in a Personnally Owned Vehicle and "ship" it
to its destination?  If not, what provision of the DOT regs prohibit this?
I can't find anything that specifically states that a 'carrier' has to be a
"for profit" entity that is separate from the 'owner' of the material.  Are
there any requirements that 'shippers' of RAM have to have some particular
certification in HAZMAT transport?  Does it matter if the material is not
licensed by NRC?  We are a DOE site.  Are there any DOE rules that say this
can't be done?  The person doing the transport would be a representative of
the owner of the material.

Keith Welch
Newport News VA
welch@cebaf.gov