Re: Genetic effects of radiation on humans

Wade:
     The possible relevance of Neel et al. to LNT is unclear.  Neither is
the finding a new one.  In Awa's Chapter on Genetic Effects in "The
Effects of A-Bomb Radiation on the Human Body" (Shigematsu et al. eds) is
the conclusion.:"Although an attempt was made to assess the genetic
effects of aomic bomb radiation through the cytogenetic analysis of the
offspring of atomic bomb survivors, the results failed to provide any evidence
of genetic damage.  However, this does not preclude the possibility that
radiation exposure causes an increased genetic risk, since it is necessary
to consider various confounding factors."  The section goes on to cite
Neel et al. as proposing a doubling dose value of 1.7-2.2 Sieverts,
suggesting that this may be greater than for mice.  The final sentence
"The genetic effect of radiation on humnans is currently inadequately
understood..." The publication date is 1995, Harwood Academic Publishers
for Bunkoda Co. Ltd. Tokyo      John Goldsmith