Re: RAM shipment

There is obviously a conflict between the two regs, 173.4 and 173.422,
which, I suppose, is what judges get paid to resolve.  One might argue that
173.422 only applies to limited quantity packages which _do not_ also meet
the standards of 173.4.

Thanks for pointing 173.4 out to me.  I only look at it when I have to ship
a package that also contains
an additional hazard.

Don

At 06:31 PM 7/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>It is interesting that 49 CFR 173.4 "small quantities of ...Class 7
>materials... are not subject to any other requirements of this subchapter
>if--
>Small quantities are defined in 173.49(a)( iv) as  levels specified in
>173.421, 424, 425, and 426.
>
>The subchapter referenced is Subchapter C Hazardous Material
>Regulations.  It basically says that if you follow the specific requirements
>of 173.4 then there are no other requirements under the hazmat regs.

Don Jordan
The University of Chicago
Office of Radiation Safety
Zoology Building Room 11