RE: Safety Culture

It is very apparent that one of the key issues involves
accountability. Here are some pertinent quotes extracted from Out of
the Crisis, by W. Edwards Deming, whose philosophy I studied under
the guidance of JUSE (Japanese Union of Scientists and Engineers).

Aim of leadership:  The aim of leadership should be to improve the
performance of man and machine, to improve quality, to increase
output, and simultaneously to bring pride of workmanship to people.
Put in a negative way, the aim of leadership is not merely to find
and record failures of men, but to remove the causes of the failure:
to help people to do a better job with less effort

With respect to workers and failures:

Tell a worker about a mistake?: Why not? How can a man improve his
work if we fail to point out to him a defective item that he has
made, so that he can see where he went wrong? We wish it to be
understood that defectives and mistakes will not be tolerated here.

I believe that these two excerpts address accountability -
responsibility. They are a key ingredient.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division