NRC's Decommissioning Rule

I just wanted to let radsafers know that the NRC's Decommissioning Rule
("Radiological Criteria for License Termination") has been published in the Federal
Register. Three FR notices are of potential interest, as follows:

FR Vol. 62, pages 38532-38533. July 18, 1997. EPA. "Environmental Impact
Statements; Notice of Availability." Indicates the availability of the final Generic EIS
that supports the decommissioning rule.

FR Vol. 62, pages 39058-39092. July 21, 1997. NRC. "Radiological Criteria for
License Termination." This is the final decommissioning rule, which includes the
statements of considerations, with responses to comments on the proposed rule,
and the rule text (10CFR20, et al.).

FR Vol. 62, pages 39093-39095. July 21, 1997. NRC. "Radiological Criteria for
License Termination: Uranium Recovery Facilities." The final decommissioning rule
(above) has excluded uranium recovery facilities. This FR notice asks for additional
comments on potential criteria to be applied to uranium recovery facilities.

For those wanting electronic versions of these FR notices, I believe that web pages
have been listed before. The one I have used is the Government Printing Office's
page: Federal Register Online via GPO Access. This page allows searches of
1995-1997 FR, and provides the FR in text or pdf formats (pdf is the Adobe Acrobat
format, which gives a document that looks like the original printed FR). The URL is:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html

Duane W. Schmidt
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards,
Division of Waste Management,
Uranium Recovery Branch
e-mail: dws2@nrc.gov