RE: DOE/NRC Rad. Con. Performance Indicators

Seth Kanter wrote:

> With respect to frequency of tabulation/evaluation of these
> indicators, we analyze them monthly and provide a report to
> management.  (We also develop corrective actions, etc., if
> warranted).

I'd only add that there should be ongoing recognition of where each
indicator is;  i.e., current period, year-to-date, actual versus
target, actual versus goal (if different that the published target),
etc. In addition, as Seth already stated, numerical indicators can
be very misleading. The indicators only take on importance if they
can be used to actually identify problems .. and to do this, one must
stratify the indicators into more working indicators, which I will
call the process indicators, in lieu of the outcome indicator, such
as personnel contaminations. An example of this could be a
stratification of facility area, where are the contaminations
occurring (building, plant unit, room, component, etc.), time frame of
the contaminations, body parts contaminated, worker classification of
the individuals who are contaminated. Only when one stratifies an
outcome indicator can an action plan be put together to attack root
causes. Chip away at the components that contribute the most towards
the indicator. If the components are not known, the indicator will
NOT be reduced, unless by divine intervention.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division