Patient Release

I received a call from a concerned citizen today who is 7-months
pregnant. A co-worker has been receiving Iodine therapy on an
out-patient basis. The pregnant worker's physician has advised her to
avoid all contact with the "treated" woman but the pregnant woman's
employer is telling her there is no cause for concern becuse she works
over 30 feet from the treated woman and to report to work as usual. My
question doesn't concern the radiation safety issue but does concern the
legal ramifications of an employer ordering an employee to disregard a
doctor's order (even if it is perhaps a misguided order). I know the
answer if we are talking occupational exposure but am unsure about this
area.

Please reply to me directly and thanks in advance.

Dwayne Gardner
Department of Environmental Protection
State of Connecticut

dwayne.gardner@po.state.ct.us