mea culpa

Group:

I made an error, for which I wish to apologize, in one of my recent
postings.

I wrongly stated that the text I gave for UNSCEAR 94 had been excerpted.
It had not; rather the quotation came from an analysis by Myron
Pollycove M.D.

The correct version is:
United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation.
Sources And Effects Of Ionizing Radiation. 1994 Report To The General
Assembly, With Scientific Annexes. E.94.1X.11 New York 1994.

Myron Pollycove, M.D., Professor Emeritus of Nuclear Medicine at the
University of California, San Francisco, and now a Visiting Medical
Fellow at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has analyzed this report.

Using particularly paragraphs 30, 31, and 34 of Section II, Adaptive
supporting references in the annexes), and other peer-reviewed
publications, Dr. Pollycove concludes that:

"There are extremely high numbers of spontaneous mutations. There are
adaptive responses to radiation that, until they diminish with age, very
effectively prevent, repair, and remove spontaneous and environmental
mutations. Contrary to their suppression by high-dose radiation, these
effectively and decrease the risks of mortality and cancer."

I sincerely apologize for my mistake and I regret any inconvenience it
may have caused.

I also thank Randall Brich of RL.gov for his alertness in recognizing my
mistake and for calling it to my attention

Yours truly,
--
Wade

mailto:hwade@triax.com