From: radsafe%romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Contamination from I-131 in Perspiration
Date: Tuesday, August 05, 1997 10:32PM

On Tue, 5 Aug 97 13:31:31 -0500 "Bass, Billy G." <bgb3@mhg.edu> writes:

>Ben,  we see considerable contamination in the sweat of I-131
>patients. "   Etc., etc.

Be aware that thyroid ablation therapy patients may also emit significant
quantities of I-131 via the  respiratory path.  In the Vet Medicine
Clinic at Texas A&M we measured air concentrations of I-131 equal to the
"old" MPC value in a kennel (dimensions: approx. 8 x 20 ft.) where
treated cats were kept for a time before release to their owners.  The
ventilation in this kennel space was only modest and the residual urine
in the cage litter was doubtless a contributor to the airborne I-131 as
the excreted I was oxidized by the air to volatile elemental, volatile
iodine.  The total "cat inventory" of I-131 in that TAMU situation was
estimated to be 25 mCi.

Milton McLain, Professor Emeritus
mem6@juno.com