Re: Codes of Ethics

Sandy Perle wrote that "Code of Ethics are fine. I suppose an interesting
statistic would be, how many individuals who are members of a particular
society or work group, have ever read the appropriate Code of Ethics? My
hypothesis would be less than 5%."

I am sorry but I have to disagree.

Lawyers have the Bar, a code of professional responsibility, must take a
course in professional responsibility, may be disbarred for misconduct, and
must pass a formal exam on professional responsibility.

Doctors still take the Hippocratic Oath and have other requirements they
must meet. They can be may be removed for misconduct.

Professionals in the areas of mental health and family counseling have to
pass an exam with questions on professional responsibility. We seldom see a
month where there pass that does not include some horror story about a
mental health provider who violated some ethical or professional standard.

Certified Safety Professionals and CIHs also have professional
responsibility on their exams.

Professional engineers have professional responsibility sections on their exams.

Based on the above, I would assume that many groups, professions, and
"society" organizations have rules on ethics or professional
responsibility. I also assume that most people read the bylaws and rules
for any organization that they join. Not reading these bylaws and
responsibilities is (in my opinion) un-professional in unto itself.

It seems that what we lack is a process that assures that those who are
members of our (health physics) organizations are following the ethical
standards and professional responsibilities of the organization to which
they belong.

Paul Lavely
RSO and Director
UC Berkeley