Re: Radioactive Material Transportation -Reply

I don't know that "Ballast" is the correct term for depleted uranium in aircraft, but
I do know that depleted uranium has been used as counterweights for control
surfaces in commercial aircraft.  In fact, obtaining AEC approval for such use by
Lockheed was one of my first jobs after getting out of school.

I believe we should take care to qualify the expression "radioactive material."  All
materials are radioactive.  It is only the "licensed" or "identified"  materials that
are newsworthy because of their radioactive.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov