Re: Analysis of Fly-ash samples(from Thermal Power Stations)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Milton E McLain wrote:

> On several occasions we (Texas A&M Univ., Dept. of Nucl. Eng.) were asked
> by a local electric utility to analyze fly ash from their fossil fuel
> generating plants for Ra-226.  The procedure used was to weigh out a few
> grams into glass ampoules which were then heat-sealed and set aside for
> about 3 weeks to allow for ingrowth of the Rn-222 and its gamma-emitting
> progeny.  Then the aged samples were counted by gamma spectrometry which
> measured the 609 KeV photons from the Bi-214 which is in secular
> equilibrium with the Ra-226.  Quantitative analysis is performed by
> comparison to a standard fly ash sample processed in the same manner.
>

> Milton McLain
> Professor Emeritus
> mem6@juno.com

Reply from R. Ravishankar,

		Thank you very much  Prof. Milton McLain for the prompt
help. Also I realised now the service rendered by radsafe listserver. Any
published literature on the analysis of fly-ash samples will be of great
use.  Does anyone help me ? (including Prof. Milton McLain).

Thank you radsafers !

R. Ravishankar,
Health Physics Unit,
Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre,